Sunday, November 13, 2011

First attempt at a blog...let's see how it goes.

Alright so the other day I was bored off of my ass and decided to take a look at espn.com. What an enlightening experience. Honestly, half the shit on there was obvious ("The New England Patriots are still dangerous"), and the other half was complete speculation. Let's be honest, speculation is far more interesting to read. It promotes conversation, lively debate and the like. So that's what I am here to do. I am going to sail amid the sea of sports speculators.

Highly original right? Well maybe not but here's the truth, I think I have some interesting things to say that other, more highlighted, sports analysts aren't talking about for one reason or another.

I want to give my honest opinion about happenings in sports and hear what the reader has to say about it. I hope to publish responses to blogposts that I find particularly intriguing/constructive/offensive and respond to them. So let's go ahead and get this started with a few things I have been "thinking" about in sports lately:

1. Okay, I will admit it (despite the fact that I never thought I would), the Niners are playing good ball. Their running is impressive, the offensive line looks solid, run and pass. And the defense, spearheaded by P. Willis is tough. I should also admit right now that I think Willis is the best consistent defender year after year. The guy is a tackling machine. He will be a force for a long time. In spite of these positives, I don't see this team going deep in the playoffs (which they will make, that division is pitiful) for a few reasons. First, Harbaugh isn't experienced enough with the NFL, it's hard to see how he's gonna adjust his team in the coming weeks.

Second, I still don't believe in Smith. Yeah, the team is winning games, does that make him a good quarterback? The man is generating relative excitement because he was drafted ahead of Rodgers and is starting to perform arbitrarily (a tad bit) closer to his expected level. The man is still a joke. He loves targeting the tight ends in the middle of the field or a receiver in the backfield. You need a quarterback who can throw the deep ball every now and then. Smith will be called upon when they actually play quality defenses in the playoffs, and I don't think he will step up. He just isn't that good.

Third, will Gore go down? He's impressive when he's healthy but, how often is that? Often enough.

I hope this San Francisco team can patch up its issues, that city needs a hero.

2. Who is the second best team in the NFC North? The Lions and Bears fight for the 2 spot behind the unstoppable Packers, but really, which team has been playing better football?

The Bears have really started coming on lately. Forte is coming on strong and Cutler isn't choking the ball away nearly as frequently as he has in past years. And the Bear's defense is the Bear's defense. They're tough and the linebackers are forces in the middle of the field.

The Lions on the other hand have a sparkling pass offense thanks to Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson. And those tight ends are playing well too. Anyways, that front on the defense is vicious. Suh is the defensive player of the year at this point. He's a beast and the other guys (Starring: Vanden Bosch and Avril) are solid in the pass rush with 5 sacks each.

Today's game proved that the Lions may not be ready to come out of the NFC North cellar for another year or two, but the Lions have two matchups left with the Packers that will be critical in determining the way the North pans out.

3. It's a popular topic and it absolutely deserves to be: Do the Colts get Luck if they lose out (or otherwise have the worst NFL record)? Which they could potentially do with the football they've played up until now. They've had impressive moments but they are just such a floppy team without the laser guided rocket arm of Peyton Manning. Angerer is kind of a badass though, he might be able to hold his own in a fight with Kushing.

Also the Dolphins are pretty much stepping away from the "Suck for Luck" movement and stepping into the realm of another mediocre season. This team is a garbage rebuilder that could have used Luck, desperately.

Which brings me to my next point. I have full faith that Manning will be back next season, posting good, maybe (just maybe) great numbers. I also believe that the Dolphins would dump all the talent they have for that one starter piece, Luck, that could supposedly have a franchise built around him. Just saying, Manning could be around for a couple more year. Edging on the realm of greatness (multiple super bowl winners only), but so damn good that he makes Matt Schaub look average (which he is. Completely).

Just thoughts everybody. Let me know how I can improve. Take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment